Thinking & Feeling

“The world is a tragedy to those who feel, but a comedy to those who think.” Horace Walpole

Friday 29 September 2006

Rocking the Daisies

Yeah well I blew off kata box in the end on Thursday evening. I was suddenly feeling really tired, lack lustre and decidedly moody, so I made an executive decision to just NOT do it. I boldly marched into the gym, retrieved my tog bag from it's locker and left again.

I then went to the library to stock up on some light reading material for the week-end, and went home, where I s(k)ulked around a bit before deciding that a walk really would do me some good. So I headed off, circuited the common once and then came home via Pick'nPay where I bought a folding table goodie, which we will need this week-end. I also bought a fold-up camping stool and camping kettle - because we are going away for the week-end. :)


Richard has arranged for us to go to Rocking the Daisies in Darling. YAY!
I'll take my running shoes along with me, but chances are they won't be used, because this week-end is all about the music.

"Darling is known as the flower of the West Coast and we are going to be ‘Rocking the Daisies on the Modder River farm from the 29th September – 1st October.

We’ll be head banging to the sounds of the The Parlotones, The Finkelsteins, Dirty Skirts, Goldfish, The Rudimentals and a whole lot more. Bring your tents along and party shoes for a non-stop party sensation.

You’ll wake up and smell the ‘daisies’ and to the sounds of your favourite rock bands."


"We will be partying to the sounds of 21 of South Africa’s hottest bands where music appreciation is the core. The line-up is cross-culture and incorporates a mixture of styles and backgrounds.
Our aim is to hold a music festival in a safe, beautiful environment, promoting SA music and nature in a responsible manner. Hence the opportunity to camp at the festival and not having to drive. Proceeds will go to an anti-drink driving campaign, SADD (South Africans Against Drunk Driving)."


The line up is pretty good, with some of the best SA bands around. Such as The Parlotones, The Finkelsteins, Louise Carver, etc etc.

We used to be quite into our music events in the past **, but haven't really done anything like this for years, especially since the kids have been around.

Although I did go to:
- MCQP Heavenly Bodies in Dec 1999 - heavily pregnant (8.5+ months) with Quinn, and then took him to
- a Synergy Rave for New Year 2000/2001 at just under 12 months, and
- took Griffin to a Cyprus Hill concert (remember 'insane in the membrane'?) when I was 7+ months pregnant with him, and then
- took him (at 6 weeks) and Quinn at 2 years to a Vortex Rave for New Year 2002/2003...

But they haven't been with us to anything like that since, and we haven't been to any overnight music festivals since Vingerdstok of 1997 and that Vortex New Years week-end.... so it should be fun!

So my bags are packed, and I caught a train in to work. Richard and the boys will pack up the car and collect me on the way, I am counting the hours.

** Other music events we have been to include:
- U2 Pop Mart Concert (1998)
- Music Event at the River Club including, Henry Ate (with Karma) Springbok Nude Girls and Battery 9 (1999) etc.
- Faithless (2003)
- Simply Red (2004)
- Robbie Williams (2006)
- The Wire Dasies (2006)
- Several Kirstenbosch Sunset Concerts - Robin Auld, The Muse, Freshly Ground etc.

7 comments:

  1. Sounds like you are going to have a total blast this weekend. Looking forward to the photies and the review on monday! AT least the weather is scheduled to be a bit cooler so that will be nice!
    ANd dont go kaalgat tussen die Daisies!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh I'm jealous! A weekend music festical! Have tons of fun and don't feel bad about not running, you did a great biig gun run thing last weekend!

    Saw you old and Richard's current boss last night...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I saw Faithless in '97 and got to touch Sister Bliss (not in that way!) - they were awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  4. dave, oh do dish the details on the boss spotting, what, where, when etc? And was he misbehaving? I'd expect no less.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like it must have been awesome. SSSOOOO how was it!?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Met up with mates from CT at The Admiral Codrinton (a gastro pub, as it were) and as we were leaving, so was Mark and some mates of his. He seemed quite unnaughty.

    Must say he is quite dishy though, although I have to admit one of my freinds knew him in 'varsity, and says he was ubergeeky and nerdish then. It's amazing what billions in the bank do for one's appeal...

    ReplyDelete
  7. So how was your weekend in the daisies????

    ReplyDelete