Thinking & Feeling

“The world is a tragedy to those who feel, but a comedy to those who think.” Horace Walpole

Wednesday 22 November 2006

Gym - scary, but still fun

On Monday I was feeling energetic and arrived at Claremont gym wanting to sweat it out with some hard cardio treadmill work before hitting the kata-box class. The wind was taken right out of my sails when I walked into the change room only to find a young (no more than 25) girl half-dead and being resuscitated... She was semi-conscious but her eyes were rolling back in her head, and her brown skin was white/yellow and she did not look well at all.

Part of me wanted to intervene and assist (long mostly forgotten first aid training kicking in), but there were 5-10 gym staff and personal trainers milling around her and I reckoned that between them they MUST have some basic medical training - right? So I didn't want to second guess them...

BUT they were checking her pulse and she was still breathing and alive so chances are it was one of the following:
- Low blood sugar
- Low blood pressure
- Over heating
- Not eaten anything for too long
- etc
Pretty much all of which would have been helped by simply lying her down and elevating her legs a bit. So why I ask you were they propping her upright? Shrug.

Anyway the urge to stress myself to the point of a heart attack didn't seem very appealing after seeing that so I decided to sit outside the studio and wait for kata box to start like all the other normal people :)

Someone called Angie took the class. She didn't look particularly fit, but her class was good. It was hard and fast but fun at the same time. We all left feeling tired and sweaty but pumped.

1 comment:

  1. When things like that happen it always leaves me feeling a little shaken. I too have had lots of first aid training and also experience, working at the ice rink i dealt with everything! Lots of blood and guts there and even a missing finger or two! But still, its not nice.

    ReplyDelete