Thinking & Feeling

“The world is a tragedy to those who feel, but a comedy to those who think.” Horace Walpole

Saturday 3 February 2007

Officially sick of being sick!

Ok, I am no longer amused at being sick... in fact I am SICK of being sick now.

I first started noticing something was lurking in me on Sunday last week. No big deal, right? But I went steadily down hill from there.

I did not feel great at work all week. I have felt like I have a plantation of cactuses in my throat, and they feel swollen and pusy too - ultra YUCK. I have also had a nice blocked up nose and sinuses and my ears have been blocked and aching all week too. I used to never really get sick, and when I did it would just be a light cold. In the last 2 years I have been getting worse. I get sick more often, it;s more intense and lasts longer. I blame my additional work hours and stress. (I so long to be back on a more sane 30-hour week. That was ideal.)

Ideally I should have had a day off work to rest and recuperate, but I have not had that luxury as an option this week, as I have just been too busy at work.

Not only is a huge project right in the middle of it's most critical phase, with the make or break decision looming in the next few days, but I also set some changes in motion - which will ultimately result in improvements for me (I am hoping so anyway) - but these all started merging and coming into effect this week and I could just drop them all, my plans relied on it all being handled carefully. I am trying to extricate myself from my project and test management role at the client, so I can focus on site management, and getting the team improved and then growing it - so the sire becomes more profitable. It won't be easy, but this way I will no longer be a pure 'billable' resource clocking hours, but will play a more strategic and directional role.

In the long run I will be able to work flexi-time, and hopefully reduce my hours a bit, as I have got agreement that I will be assessed on performance of my site and not on hours clocked at my desk - which makes sense. It's a gamble I'll admit, and I could end up working longer and harder, but I feel I can add more value this way, and it's more of what I like doing and less of what I don't so it made sense to propose it.

Of course arranging to start handing over my current role this week while the project is in a critical phase, AND having to finalize budgets and contracts for the next year meant I have been pretty busy, and as I said could not take time off...

I also had commitments on Monday and Tuesday nights, which made me pretty tired too.
The result was by last night I was ready to dig a hole and die, but we had the school fun evening to go to...

I had every intention of going to gym today, but by the time I went to bed last night I knew there'd be no getting up early today, so the phones are off, and I am still in my pyjamas and am now officially waiting for whatever is living in me to finally pack it's bags and vacate! Please.

2 comments:

  1. shame janey pooh! i dont have a very good relationship with being sick either. infact, i become my own worst enemy. Bed is best, if not, grab some Betta Way Vit C next time you are at clicks and it seems it works! have not been sick in 6 months i think, touch wood!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thankfully the worst is over and I feel like myself again this week. Just have some errant phlegm to deal with now. YAY!

    I remember you were quite sick in Spring... Sept/Oct or so, with some lurgies that wouldn't leave you alone.

    ReplyDelete