Thinking & Feeling

“The world is a tragedy to those who feel, but a comedy to those who think.” Horace Walpole

Tuesday 13 March 2007

Nurse - always been in the stars...?

I remembered about my first Nurse encounters/dablings last night... and decided to dig out a photo.

Now I never did Boy Scouts/Cubs or Girl Guides/ Brownies. No, not me. I was a St John's Ambulance cadet! And the youngest by far in our brigade (the 14th Northcliff Brigade as I recall). I was all of about 9 years old at the time.


I can tie a reef and other knots, dress a wound several ways, do CPR, mix up a poultice, clean bed sores, change a bed (with or without a person in it) compete with 'hospital corners', and even make fake wounds for demonstration purposes (tissue paper and Vaseline can make a mean fake blister; and putty, chicken bones and Mercurochrome make convincing wrist wounds!*

I think I did a full 2 years of St John's, and even did a fair amount of community service involving volunteering at marathons and rubbing Vaseline into grown men's sweaty and stiff thighs (remember I was 9 years old). Actually it explains quite a lot....

Like my recent debaucherous foray into nursing...

* bet you didn't know that about me!

4 comments:

  1. Wow..didn't know that at all...and then you went into IT? What happened lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Jane, you look so sweet in that uniform!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You were a cute nurse then and a cute nurse now! lol...mind you, i suppose, you turned into a HOT nurse looking at the MCQP version! lol.

    ReplyDelete