Thinking & Feeling

“The world is a tragedy to those who feel, but a comedy to those who think.” Horace Walpole

Wednesday 16 April 2008

Egg Zachery

And because I believe in COMPLETELY over allocating myself.... I mean if I do something I do it properly, no half measures for me!

I not only have another 2 doula clients, and am working harder at work than ever before (even at home at night), and am going to some interesting job interviews which I have been approached for, plus running more than usual and doing kata boxing again, and the kids are back at school and and and, but now...


I have also registered as an egg donor! (even thought I am almost over the hill egg wise, but not quite yet). Because it just 'felt like the right thing to do'. That's how I make a lot of decisions in my life, based on what my gut feel tells me to do, and this is something I have been pondering for a while and it definitely FEELS right.

I first considered it a year or so ago, but was told you have to be under 30, and it didn't seem very well co-ordinated then. Then Tertia announced this new venture on her blog, and I vaguely noticed (not having been very active on the web recently), but then I saw a branded car last Thursday and it rang a bell in my head so when I heard about it again this week, something told me to act, so I did.

I have filled in the detailed application and have been accepted in principle and am meeting with the co-ordinator on Friday to discuss moving forward! Wow, it's all pretty sudden and quick! But then I guess my clock is ticking ...
Shocked Laughing Laughing Very Happy

Go have a look at:
http://www.nurture.co.za/
If you are interested in checking it out.... (it's a new donor programme started by Tertia Albertyn (of So Close fame) and Melany Bartok.)

--------
It is a completely anonymous donation, I won't know where my eggs have gone and the recipient won't know where they came from...

I know some people struggle with this concept, but I have thought about it a lot. I am an organ donor too. I have no great ties with my physical body, other than that I find it quite handy and I need it right now. When I die I won't need it, and I am more than happy that it be used to help someone else who may need part of it.

So my take on the egg issue is as follows:

My egg(s) will be given freely and without condition. I see it as a vessel and catalyst for someone to use to grow THEIR baby. The seed may be mine, but the baby will be them, and all theirs. All of their energy, love and nourishment will be given to it to grow as their very own.

I am not using my eggs, they are literally flushed down the toilet now... I don't see or think of them as babies, but as potentials. They are part of the ingredients needed to make a baby, but on their own they are nothing.

I have a strong sense of babies coming to us when the time is right and when they chose to. The egg & the sperm are part of that, but I think there's more to it. Something spiritual that happens too. We don't really control that, although we do play a part. We can help it along, but we can't MAKE it happen. Conception happens as it wants to, we don't fully understand it.

So I am putting some potential out there, and am not going to pursue or dwell on it. If it is meant to be it will be. If it's not it won't. Whether I am chosen, and whether the eggs take is not up to me, and not something I can be worried about... Que sera sera. Smile

As I said above, I don’t believe a single egg (or likewise a sperm) is a baby, or part of me, it's just a catalyst.

----

For me it's like giving eggs to your neighbour. The eggs might have been yours originally, but the cake she makes with them is all hers.

The ingredients don't affect the end product as much as the recipe, method, love & care taken to make, bake & decorate the cake, but without the eggs there wouldn't be a cake...

But just cos your eggs were used you can't think, 'That's my cake!'.

Make sense?

Anyway that's MY view, I know others feel differently, and I respect that.

1 comment:

  1. I have thought of being an egg donor before. I am not sure how my reaction would be though. I agree with you in that it is only an egg. That will be flushed down a toilet if not 'used'. However, it does contain my dna...which does make it mine...I don't know. Not sure how I feel really. That's why I have only gone as far as thinking about it.

    I think you are doing the right thing though. Good for you.

    And!...congrats on being 'famous'!!!

    ReplyDelete