Thinking & Feeling

“The world is a tragedy to those who feel, but a comedy to those who think.” Horace Walpole

Tuesday 22 December 2009

What's in a name?

A Jane by any other name...

With apologies to William Shakespeare, Romeo and Juliet.

"Tis but thy name that is my enemy;
Thou art thyself, though not a Weideman."

"What's in a name? That which we call a Jane
By any other name would be still insane."

"Without that title. Doff* thy name,
And for that name which is no part of me"
I hereby set myself free!
* Hahahaha excuse the pun right there!

When I got divorced I had no intention of changing back to my maiden name. I had been married for 10 years (mostly happily I had thought), I had children of that name. It was my name, my identity. I felt no reason to take a stand. I expected things to be reasonable, functional, amicable even. I wanted myself and the boys to have the same surname. I wanted everyone to get along. I did not want to cause hurt, resentment or issues. I thought we could all be mature about it.

But as time has gone by and the insanity and issues have escalated and become more and more intolerable I have felt less and less comfortable about being associated with that name and him. Now after recent developments and findings I am actually no longer prepared to use his name. I will no longer be associated with him at all. And so I am doing it!

So I am no longer Jane Weideman
JaneW
JW
Weidewoman
Ja Well

I am Jane Fraser
JaneF
JF

I am Just Fine!

p.s. The boys have asked to change their names too. Several times already actually. Completely unprompted. They say they prefer my name. I'll see what I can do.

8 comments:

  1. Sound like you have an Uncorigible Sence of Humor. Good for You.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Incorrigible! :P
    Mais oui. Toujours!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Big step that :) You go girl!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tertia has a famous line: "hold your head up high and say your name loud and proud".

    Good for you !

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good for you :) I love the JF "Just Fine"

    ReplyDelete
  6. I did this the day after I was divorced! Started doing it before aswell!

    It was HUGELY liberating!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I also love the JF "Just Fine"

    Good for you!
    All the best for 2010 JF - you'll be Just Fine!

    ReplyDelete